HMI – SCADA – LIFE CYCLE MANAGEMENT
Compromised personnel Safety
- Expensive Assets can be damaged
- Extended production losses due to slow disaster recovery after automation failure
- Process disruptions that can lead to poor quality product or rejects
Versiondog provides automation engineers the tools they need to apply the automation governance needed to insure;
- The current program version is always secure and available to
authorisedusers. Version control allows recovery from previousdocumented archives.
- All changes are documented and recorded
- Process Control engineers are able to quickly determine the changes between online and offline programs and previous program versions
Versiondogallows IT departments to apply the governance required to manage the many different automation programs and configuration files typical excluded
- Using advanced features such as “Automatic upload and Compare” the current device software running in programmable logic controllers can be compared to the current version to detect tampering or save improvements made directly on the process control device.
- The risk of knowledge loss due to employee changes is removed and Versiondog provides a
life cyclemanagement tool for all the site process control software at a price that we result in rapid payback.
Backup and Version Control
With process control applications only one master version of the software can exist, if two users make changes to an application at the same time the changes made by one of the users will be lost. The impact of this is lost engineering effort and an unknown application state.
In many cases even during a pilot of Versiondog we find PLC changes exist on the online controller that site automation engineers are not aware of. The result is that this modifications made intentionally to improve process control which will at some stage be lost to the business.
These typical problems that often happen without the knowledge of site personnel that do not have the tools to be able to prevent or detect this from happening. Using versiondog, once a program is copied from the server to a programming station (“Checked Out”) the software application is “locked” and other users are notified about whom and why someone is working on the application. This is illustrated in Figure 1 where the second users can get a copy of and view the software but is notified that he cannot make changes as the software application is locked.
During the “Check In” process users are presented with a dialog that allows them to record the change request number and details of the changes made to the application for audit trail purposes. Changes are always logged against a named user. Versiondog can also provide a repository for safety procedures, standard operating procedures and project documentation to ensure that automation staff and contractors always have access to the most current revisions.
- Visibility of who is working on which software application (internal personnel and external service providers)
- Removes the risk of unknown combinations of changes being download to a controller
- Provides an audit trail and of who and what changes were made.
- Support Occupational Health and Safety processes that minimise the possibility of injury or loss of life.
Versiondog has functionality that applies across all usage types; however, particular functions will be more beneficial to particular scenarios. Thus the use and benefit of Versiondog by end-users will be mainly across the board, whereas for system integrators and machine builder’s particular features will be specifically more important to their requirements.
versiondog Supported Devices
Versiondog supports most major process control devices and software applications.
Versiondog smart compare functionality presents detailed comparisons of HMI or PLC project changes detailing for example tag or script changes in a manner that reflects the atual software editor (for example InTouch, CiTect, Step 7, etc..)
No extra editor software (Step 7, InTouch, etc.) required avoiding increased costs
Rapid and responsive compare functionality (no need to wait for external applications to load)
Simplifies installation as only versiondog is required
Image showing panes of component tree, archived versions and differences on highlighted item.
(Wonderware InTouch 10 Example)
Note the support for many devices is build directly into versiondog and does not require special software to be installed in order to provide detailed tree browsing of the application and version differences.
This reduces the investment cost as users do not have to purchase extra third party development licenses.
Below is a list of smart compares currently available. New devices are supported with each new release of versiondog.
- Siemens S5
- Siemens S7 (Multi-project support)
- Siemens TIA Portal
- Siemens PCS 7
- IBH S5 for Windows
- Rockwell RSLogix 5, RSLogix 500 and RSLogix 5000
- Schneider Modsoft, Concept
- Schneider Unity
- 3S CoDeSys (SoftSPS)
- ABB Freelance 800F
- AEG A250, A500
- Allen Bradley ACD
- AMT NT, XP
- Atlas Copco
- Beckhoff TwinCat
- Bosch CPS 21
- B&R Automation Studio
- Copadata Zenon
- GE Proficy Machine Edition
- Indramat CLM
- Mitsubishi MELSOFT GX Works2
- Omron PLC systems *
- Pilz Safety, PSS032, PSSPG, WinPro
- Phoenix Contact PC Worx
- Sick PLS
- Siemens Protool, WinCC, WinCC Flexible
- Siemens TIA Portal for STEP 7
- Copa-Data zenon
- Wonderware InTouch
- Wonderware System Platform (ArchestrA, Backup Only)*
- GE iFix
- Copa-Data zenon
- Schneider Citect
- Adroit **
- Open Automation Software
- ASCII, Binary
- Siemens Scalance switches (X-2xx and X3xx)
- Indramat DDS, Drivetop (Ecodrive)
- SEW Moviedrive
- Siemens Simatic Simodrive
* Components currently in development Roadmap
** No smart compare
- GE Fanuc
- Cognex DataMan *
- Kistler maXYmos
- Lenze 8400 protec SL-HL
- Mitsubishi MELFA robots
- SEW Movitools
- SICK scanners*
- Siemens SINUMERIK 840D
- Visual Basic
- C++ / Pascal
- MS Word
- MS Excel 2007, 2010
- Adobe PDF
- HTML, XML files
General and Other Devices
- Siemens Bus Configuration COM Profibus, CP143, ET200
- Simatics S7 Library
- Simatics S7 Multiproject
- Universal (User customisable)